Aloneness does not have to be loneliness. A person can be alone and not be lonely. A person can be surrounded by people and be lonely.
Are you suffering loneliness?
In the heat of loneliness, you may be tempted to take matters into your own hands and make foolish choices. I speak from experience and if I can help you to avoid the mistakes I’ve made, then try this instead:
1. Step outside of yourself. Look around you, the world is filled with lonely people, serve them.
a) Visit nursing homes and/or shut-ins
b) Volunteer with soup kitchens/homeless shelters
c) Find a cause and champion it.
d) Care for the widows and orphans
2. Develop yourself. Take a class. Read books. Learn a new skill. Teach a new skill to someone else.
3. Make healthy choices. What we eat does impact how we feel. Eat healthy! Stay away from sugars and processed foods. Drink plenty of water. If you are not sure how to do this, then speak to a nutritionist, join a health group, there are plenty of resources out there to help you.
4. Set goals and then take steps to reach them.
5. Take yourself out. Do you like to dine out? Don’t be afraid to do it alone. Do you like to go to the movies? Get a ticket and popcorn and go. Don’t let the fact you are alone stop you from enjoying life.
6. Exercise! Get those endorphins flowing. It’s good for you!
7. Get outside! Fresh air and sunshine does wonders. Take a walk, ride a bike, go to a park, be around nature.
8. Watch your self-talk. Be careful what you say to yourself. What you say, you are.
9. Reach out to others. If you are a woman, call a female friend and make arrangements to get together. If you are a man, then call a male friend and make arrangements to get together. Surround yourself with uplifting people and avoid negative talk.
10. And finally, the MOST important arsenal against loneliness is your relationship with God. If you know Him and acknowledge Him, then you are never truly alone, because He is ALWAYS with you.
It is not good for us to be alone, God knows this, He created us for relationship. The most important relationship you can have is with your Heavenly Father. His Spirit will comfort you in your alone times and He is more than enough. If He can speak to Elijah in a cave, Jonah in the belly of a whale, Moses on the mountain, John in the womb, Joseph in his dreams, and Lazarus in the tomb, then don’t you think He is able to speak to you where you are? Quiet yourself and listen for His voice. Then you will know you are not alone, and loneliness is a feeling you do not have to succumb to.
For more on what to do to help in the times of aloneness click here.
Be Free & Stay Free